Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

{Lemon Herb Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing}

 As I finish out the cross country season, I've been focusing even more on getting an ample amount of vegetables in my diet. Maybe even more than ample amount. Lately, I have lived and breathed vegetables. 

This new energy for a vegetable-infused diet has sparked some more creativity, some that I hope to share with you all in the coming weeks! I've experimented some vegetable casseroles, green smoothies, and now that the weather has finally turned a tad bit cooler, I've tried my hand at soup-making. 

But so far, this salad is my new favorite of all my creations. The honey dressing is sweet with just enough spicy kick from the red pepper flakes.* I apologize for my lack of photos- I made the salad right after my cross country meet, so I was ravenous and not very picky about the amount of photos. Blame my appetite :)

I hope you enjoy this refreshingly delicious salad as much as I do. May you find a new passion for vegetables :)



{LEMON HERB CHICKEN SALAD WITH HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING}

 Serves 2


For the vegetables:


Wash and chop one head of romaine or red leaf lettuce. Add a handful of washed spinach and kale to the bowl, then set aside.

For the chicken:

1 four ounce chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon basil
ground pepper


Slice one four ounce breast of chicken into bite sized pieces. Heat coconut oil in a pan and cook the chicken. Season with rosemary, basil, and ground pepper after about five minutes and stir. Finally, add a squeeze of lemon juice over the sizzling chicken.

For the dressing:

3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar* 
2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard, or Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey 
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Whisk ingredients together, then set aside. 



Assembling  the salad:

Combine the green leaf lettuce, kale and spinach until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle chicken pieces on top, and finally drizzle a bit of the salad dressing on top (don't worry that there is enough dressing leftover for later salads). Finally, toss the salad. Enjoy!


*For those strictly following the AIP diet, omit the red pepper flakes. 

**As with anything used in the Paleo and AIP kitchen, always make sure you check the ingredients. Some white wine vinegars are derived from corn sources. The one I used comes from grapes, so it is safe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment