Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

{A Rooted N' Sprouting Thanksgiving}



For the first time in my entire life, we had Thanksgiving at home. Also for the first time in my life, I GOT TO COOK!! It was so much fun! 



Of course, I planned everything out to the minute of when to prepare each dish and put it in the oven. I was cooking like a well-oiled machine. Everything was cooked, prepared, and of course photographed by the anticipated time. 
 

And can I say, it was a success. My brother and dad were both drooling, anticipating the deliciousness to come. 






This is what happens when you combine a growing teenage boy with a comfort-foodie, Thanksgiving maniac dad, a content and happy-I'm-not-cooking mom, and an AIP conundrum. That basically sums up our Thanksgiving smorgasbord, complete with gluten free and AIP delights. I tried to convince my dad to try a vegetable and Sydney-approved stuffing, but he wouldn't have it. Again, can I say comfort-foodie?!? I had to compromise a little bit, but I got all the vegetables and AIP goodness I wanted :)

The day turned out really well. For never ever having a family Thanksgiving, or much less having me do all the cooking, things came out great. Here's a peek at what we enjoyed:




{Our Menu}
Rosemary Turkey
Mashed Potatoes (for the family, with real milk and butter)
Gluten Free Stuffing (homemade, with a little help from Rudi's)
Turnip-Parsnip Mash from Against All Grain
Vegetable Casserole (recipe below)
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
AIP Apple Tartlet (1/8 Autumn Apple Pie recipe)




THE TURKEY

Mashed Potatoes for the boys

Parsnip-Turnip Mash


Gluten Free Stuffing

Gluten Free Stuffing

 
Vegetable Casserole


That was dinner. And then came the dessert, a small apple tartlet for me, and a gluten-free apple crisp topped with homemade whipped cream for the rest of the family.



My tartlet

Gluten Free Apple Crisp


Everything was so delicious and everyone ate a little bit of everything. But my favorite part was the nostalgia of reflecting of what we are thankful for. My brother, of course was thankful for surfing and good food. But we all agreed that we are thankful for God's faithfulness, His provision, and His continued blessing in our lives.  Life is good, and, quoting my dad, its nice to pause in the middle of the rat-race of life and be thankful for the good life we do enjoy. 

This day was perfect, with pleasant company, delicious food, and plenty to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours! :)




{VEGETABLE CASSEROLE}


INGREDIENTS:

For the vegetables-

1 medium spaghetti squash, baked and scraped
1/2 cauliflower, cut into little florets
2 cups butternut squash, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
2 zucchini, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

For the creamy cauliflower sauce-

1/2 cauliflower, chopped into florets
1/2 cup of the cauliflower water
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
salt and pepper to taste


INSTRUCTIONS:

For the cauliflower sauce-

1. Boil 1/2 cup of water with the cauliflower  for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water, reserving 1/2 cup.
2. In a food processor, pulse the steamed cauliflower, 1/2 cup water, garlic, pepper and salt until a creamy consitency is reached.
3. Set aside. 

For the cassarole-

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large baking dish, bake the butternut squash, cauliflower, and zucchini for 30-35 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 325 F.
2. As the other vegetables are baking, grease a 9"x13" glass baking dish, then line the bottom with the spaghetti squash. 
3. After the other vegetables are done roasting, place on top of the spaghetti squash. Lather the cauliflower sauce over the top, smoothing it evenly across the vegetables. 
4. Sprinkle the rosemary on top, then place in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Remove and let it set for at least 10 minutes, the serve.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment