Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

{Perfectly Pumpkin Bagels}

I am so excited to finally have a bagel recipe!!!!! Really, jumping-up-and-down excited!!!!

Bagels optimize my inner struggle with my complicated food lifestyle. For 99% of the time, I truly enjoy my diet and love making new creations loaded with vegetables and good healthy nutirents. But sometimes I just want a warm, chewy, scrumptious bagel, lathered in rich cream cheese. I can dream, can't I?

I even wrote a college essay on my "bagels" in life and in running- the time where it is tempting to give up and go for the easier and more temporarily satisfying decision instead of doing what is right for me and my training. Learning to say no to bagels. Sounds like a good book title.

Until now, every time I tried to create a bagel-type of bread, they came out mushy, doughy bites that tasted like flaxseed meal. Not the bagel I had dreamed of.

But now I can say- no,  shout YES to bagels. The secret? A little bit of tapioca starch for the  classic bagel chewiness, chia seed meal for the "egg" (I've found make chia meal "eggs" actually work better than the classic flaxseed meal egg in my baking experiments), and coconut milk for extra moisture. 

 

 





I ate mine with a little bit of Trader Joe's delicious pumpkin butter. Although I didn't try it, I thought of making a little bit of coconut whipped cream, sprinkling some cinnamon and some pumpkin butter in it to make pumpkin "cream cheese" to put on top. 
 
 I hope that you enjoy these lovely creations as much as I do!  

 



  {PERFECTLY PUMPKIN BAGELS}

Ingredients:

1.5 Tablespoons chia meal (chia seeds ground in a coffee grinder)
3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons coconut milk

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (*omit for AIP)
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder (* make sure it is corn-free. Or better yet, make your own)


Instructions:

1.  Add chia seed meal, pumpkin puree, water, apple cider vinegar,xanthan gum, and coconut milk in an electric blender. In order, add coconut oil, then flours and spices, then baking soda and baking powder, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat until a dough-like mass begins to form.

2. Forming the dough into large balls, depending on how large you want them. I made mini bagels forming balls of dough about the size of two tablespoons. To make larger bagels, I'd suggest forming dough the size of your fist. Poke a hole in the middle of the dough ball and shape to form a bagel using dry hands. Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

3. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, depending on size of bagels. I made mini bagels, and cooked them for 15 minutes. Allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!




Variation Ideas:

 *I will be making a few of these shortly and posting them. That said, these are just my ideas, so they haven't been proven yet. But feel free to experiment- it's fun!!!

For all recipe variation ideas, omit pumpkin puree and either replace with unsweetened applesauce or 3 Tablespoons more of coconut milk

Cinnamon Raisin- add 1/4 cup of raisins and 1/2 teaspoon more of cinnamon
Cranberry Orange- add 1/4 cup of dried cranberries (or Trader Joe's orange cranberries) with 1/2   teaspoon of orange zest
Chocolate-zucchini- Add 1/4 cup of shredded zucchini and 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
Chocolate chip-  add 1/4 cup of EnjoyLife mini   chocolate chips
Apple-cinnamon- increase cinnamon, add 1/4 chopped apples. 







No comments:

Post a Comment