Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

{Parsley-Basil Kelp Noodles with Broccoli and Chicken}

Happy New Year! I'm starting 2014 off right with a Whole 30/21DSD/AIP combo. NOT a diet, or a detox, but a readjustment. I've found myself snacking on more fruit than I would like, and occasionally drifting to dried fruit when I was hungry and looking for a quick go-to snack. I know, hand-slap! So not only am I doing this combo readjustment to rid myself of sugar, but also to heal my gut. Lately, it has taken a beating with cross-contamination from my family's "un-Sydney-friendly" kitchen and baking, despite drastic efforts. However, as the only one who has severe reactions, I've suffered the brunt og Christmas baking. I mean, if I'm going to feel sick, I'd like to actually eat something good, not just get sick off of cross-contamination!!

Anyway, so far I am enjoying this readjustment because it has sparked a refreshing new creativity in cooking. After only one day, I'm feeling a whole lot better! I'm excited to see how I feel after a month. I'm not really sure what I'll do after a month, but since it is a readjustment, I'm sure I'll continue this lifestyle, with room for some treats here and there. But mostly I'll stick to just eating the good stuff, like my beloved vegetables! :)




This kelp noodle bowl was absolutely delicious! Besides the pesto, it's kind of a loose recipe because I threw in some plain chicken leftover from another time and pre-chopped broccoli from my zoodles and broccoli. Feel free to add lemony chicken, spicy chicken, or other meats for some variety!



There will be plenty of pesto leftover for other days and other recipes. I'm so glad that I found a pesto recipe that is nut-less (because I can't have nuts...) and not chunky. Today for lunch I plan on eating zoodles with pesto! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!


INGREDIENTS:


1/4 package kelp noodles (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh broccoli, chopped into little florets
 Chicken, however much you like, prepared however you like, and chopped
                * I think I used roughly about 1/4 cup of chicken

For the Parsley-Basil pesto-
1 cup fresh parsley
handful of fresh basil (about a 1/2 cup)
1/4- 1/3 cup olive oil (add more or less depending on how thick/thin you want) 
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste


INSTRUCTIONS:


Boil kelp noodles and chopped broccoli until both are softened, about 10 minutes.

While the kelp noodles are cooking, begin making the pesto. In a food processor, combine the pesto ingredients and process until smooth, adding more oil if needed.

Drain the kelp noodles and broccoli and place in a bowl. Add about a tablespoon of pesto (depending on how much kelp noodles/broccoli you used) to the noodle bowl and stir until evenly coated. Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment