Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

{Berry Coconut Yogurt}




I finally made coconut yogurt!!!!!!! I have been craving this stuff so long!! I used to eat coconut yogurt everyday until I cut out all grains, because the conventional companies use rice starch as a binder. Ugh! So for about 2 years, I have been craving yogurt, drooling whenever my brother eats his Yoplait, dreaming of the coconut yogurt I used to have. 


But now I've made it and the wait is over! "Yum" is not enough to describe the joy I felt when I took a savory bite of my yogurt this morning. Maybe sweet victory is closer...

Using a Christmas gift of Great Lakes grass-fed gelatin, I was finally able to make my coconut yogurt. I've been researching a lot about gelatin and how to make allergy-friendly yogurts, and this brand kept popping up. So far, my body is loving it! I also made fruit gummies the other day. They weren't as delicious as my yogurt, but they sure were a nice snacky treat. Though this yogurt doesn't have cultures (because frankly, they are way out of my budget), the gelatin is said to help digestion, along with strengthening and supporting joints. As a runner, I need all the joint support I can get! :)

Furthermore, this yogurt does not require a fancy yogurt maker. All you need is a saucepan and a food processor!  

Another thing that makes this yogurt so great is that it is sugar and sweetener free!! If you are able to have sweeteners, add a bit of honey. But if you're like me and avoiding sugar like the plague, you may just jump for joy. :)

For my yogurt, I blended in berries, but you can certainly omit that step and have plain yogurt. Other options include sprinkling your favorite granola on top, making parfaits, adding a bit of vanilla extract for a vanilla version, or add some seeds and shredded coconut for an extra protein punch. Be creative- it is your grain-free, unprocessed, homemade yogurt! Be proud! :)



{BERRY COCONUT YOGURT}

for a single serving 

INGREDIENTS:
 1 cup coconut milk (I used Trader Joes' canned light coconut milk), divided
1- 1.5 teaspoons gelatin (depending on desired thickness)
Juice of 1/2 a lime 
1/4 cup berries, frozen or fresh

INSTRUCTIONS:
 
Heat 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. In a bowl, combine the gelatin and rest of the coconut milk (1/4 cup) until it forms a smooth paste. Add the paste and lime juice to the coconut milk in the sauce pan, constantly whisking the ingredients until they are smooth and thoroughly combined. 

Pour the coconut yogurt into a container and let it chill in the refrigerator for one hour up to overnight. 

Once chilled, place the yogurt and the berries in a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Serve and enjoy immediately with toppings or as is.

*If the coconut yogurt is too thick for your taste once is chilled, add water until it reaches desired consistency.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment