Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fresh Herb Pesto Pizza with Lemon Chicken


I honestly miss my days of pizza. Not because I want to be like every other teenager in America, but I sincerely miss our days of make your own pizza. It was such a memorable family occasion, watching my dad make the dough from scratch, designing random shapes with the pizza dough, slathering on way too much cheese and making cheese pockets in the crust, then peeking into the oven every few minutes to watch our creations bake.
  I have now resurrected those days of make your own pizza. It is a little different now because there is no cheese, no yeasted crust, and no chewy crust. But I can honestly say I'll choose this pizza any day over the traditional American pizza, because not only is it way healthier, but I know that my body will benefit from my enjoyment of it. How many people can say that about their pizza?




This yummy, yummy pizza was super easy to make and even more delicious! The lemony twist combined with the freshness of the herbs was a wonderful combination. I thoroughly enjoyed my night of "make your own pizza." I hope you enjoy yours :)


{FRESH HERB PESTO PIZZA WITH LEMON CHICKEN}


INGREDIENTS:

For the crust-

1 cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 clove of garlic, minced


For the chicken-
1 boneless chicken breast, chopped into chunks
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
hint of lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste


For the pesto- 
2 cups fresh basil
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon


INSTRUCTIONS: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F
2. Place the chopped cauliflower and garlic into a food processor and grind into a rice-like texture. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, form the cauliflower into a "dough" about a 1/2 inch thick, careful to press it together so that it sticks together and holds. Place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and still fairly moist.
 3. Meanwhile, begin cooking the chicken either on a nonstick skillet or skillet lighhtly greased with coconut oil. Once it starts to brown, add the spices and lemon juice. Remove from heat when it is fully cooked.
 4. As the chicken is cooking, begin making the pesto. Place basil, coconut, olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest into  food processor and pulse until it reaches a semi-fine consistency. 
5. Once the cauliflower crust is done, remove from heat and cool for about...
6. Layer the crust with pesto and then sprinkle on the chicken. If you want, feel free to add vegetables, other meats, or whatever you want. It's make your own pizza night!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment