Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

{Flaxjacks Revisited: A Zucchini Twist}


As I've entered the cross country season, I've fashioned a high-vegetable, Whole 30 sort of diet to increase my nutrient intake, and hopefully positively affect my racing. Since most of my breakfasts revolve around  a little bit of fruit, I've decided to amp up my flax jacks. I mean, I can't have a green smoothie everyday!


Thus, enter zucchini flax jacks. Using the same basic recipe as my original flax jacks, I included some various variations so you can choose, along with the zucchini addition.



First, I tried blueberry-zucchini flax jacks, increasing the amount of cinnamon by a smidge and adding in a few fresh blueberries from Trader Joes in the batter. After the flax jacks cooked, I sprinkled some more berries on top. Yum-yum, those were good! 



Then I decided to try a fall edition by adding some diced apples to the flax jacks for an apple-cinnamon twist. With 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon more of cinnamon, and about 1/4 cup of diced apples (depending on how apple-y you like your fall flax jacks), this edition was a delicious way to wake up. I mean, apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg are a perfect fall combination, awakening memories of cozy evenings with tea, classic music, and a good book.

Pulled from a previous recipe of orange-banana-zucchini bread, I decided to add in 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest for a citrus zing. It's fun to mix it up!

Feel free to make your own combinations, like cranberry-orange and banana-cinammon  Most of the fun is found in being creative and trying new things, so enjoy the process!


  

~ZUCCHINI FLAX JACKS~


Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 flax eggs (see below)
1/4-1/3 cup water, almond milk, or coconut milk

 1/2 cup shredded zucchini

{Flax eggs}
To make the equivalent of one egg, combine one tablespoon of flax meal with three tablespoons of hot water. Stir and set aside for ten minutes.

Instructions:

Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the flax eggs and stir until everything is thourgoughly mixed. Slowly add in the water and zucchini, stirring at the same time, until the mixture turns to batter.

Pour batter into the skillet in tablespoonfuls over medium-high heat. Cook on the first side for about five minutes, then flip and continue cooking until desired.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment