Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

{Coconut Cobbler}

Three day weekends are seriously the best. I just need that one extra day to catch up and sort of have an opportunity to relax before the whirlwind of life begins again. However, I'm usually terrible about relaxing and using that extra day to do something fun. But this time I did it. My friend Maddie came over and we continued our tradition of making coconut cobbler. First, before I tell you how incredible coco cobbler, as we nicknamed it, is, let me tell you the background story of this magnificent creation. 


Last year during the cross country season, Maddie invited me over to her house to cook me a meal. Now, as a person with many allergies and severe consequences following contamination, I don't let anybody cook my food. Not even my mother! So Maddie, being the amazing friend she is, decided I needed to face my fears in her very clean, Italian,  and "safe" kitchen. First, we made a kelp noodle stir fry with turkey meat, which was delicious. And safe. Then we experimented with a "dessert," since no Italian meal is complete without sweets. 
 
{Maddie enjoying our Coconut Cobbler}



And thus emerged Madney's Coco Cobbler, the most delicious dessert in the entire world.  Seriously, we are obsessed with this stuff! Gooey, moist, and delicious, and topped with fresh fruit and coconut sugar, this is a treat that you can feel good about eating.  Whenever I finish eating it, I feel like I could die and go to heaven well content. When you make this, be sure you only make as much as you can still maintain self control- yes, its that tempting!



Now back to the coconut sugar. Maddie and I go nuts over this stuff. I know, it sounds weird, but the only way I can think to describe it is like brown sugar meets maple sugar, but richer and better. Anyway, its delicious, and good for you. Coconut sugar is low glycemic, only a 35 on the glycemic index, which is good news for me, since I have a very low tolerance to sugar (even certain fruits make me sick!). I'll admit, I have eaten coconut sugar by itself- its THAT good!!! Maddie even bought me my own coconut sugar for my birthday! 



I promise this is worth your while. It is easy, simple, and delicious! Making coconut cobbler is not only fun, but a great social opportunity, whether you make it with friends, siblings, or kids. I hope you begin your own coconut cobbler traditions of your own!

{COCONUT COBBLER}

 Serves 2
Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons coconut flour
*2 flax "eggs" 
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
1/4- 1/3 cup of water

Instructions:
 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Mix coconut flour, flax "eggs," cinnamon, coconut sugar together in a medium sized bowl. Add the water, beginning with 1/4 cup, and slowly adding more while mixing until it reaches a doughy consistency. 

Spoon the batter into mini loaf pans, a small cobbler bowl, or muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and firm.

Carefully divide the cobbler into bowls and top with fruit, jam, coconut sugar, extra cinnamon- get creative


*Flax eggs: for the equivalent of one egg, mix 1 Tablespoon of flax meal and 3 Tablespoons of warm water, then let it set for 10 minutes

 




 




No comments:

Post a Comment