Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

{Pancakes Revisted: Flax-Jacks}




For a long time, I've struggled to find delicious breakfast recipes. I mean, who wants to eat leftovers, salmon, or even roasted vegetables for breakfast?  I never really ate sugar cereals before, but I like my breakfast to be special, unlike lunch or dinner. When my family has pancakes, oatmeal, or french toast, I don't want to have leftovers! And after a while, turkey bacon can get pretty boring! Additionally, it is not healthy to eat something over and over again, especially if you have an autoimmune disorder, for your body can "tag" that food, then attack it (and make you feel quite awful!)



So, I set out to create a Paleo and egg free breakfast item. Since I've also cut out eggs from my diet due to hypersensitivity, I needed a good staple beyond turkey bacon and fruit. Thus, I created flax-jacks :)

Previously, I had created a pancake recipe modified from another blog. Yet, when I was faced with cutting out eggs, it took me many tries to make these puppies. First, I had to master making a "flax egg." Since there is no egg to cook and harden the flax-jack together, it was a bit difficult in the beginning to make a cake instead of a bunch of crumbs. 



But I did it! My experiments worked! And can I say, it was so worth it! Chewy, delicious, and almost like the pancakes my mother used to make. Don't be intimidated by their flaxy look- I promise, they are delicious! I'm very sensitive to textures and won't eat a oddly-textured food item, but these passed the test. 


Feel free to cut the recipe by one-fourth for a single serving.  Feel free to make your own creations!! Add in some cocoa powder for a chocolate twist, or some orange zest for a citrus day.
This morning, I added fresh blueberries and chia seeds in mine. I've also mashed up a half an banana (for a single serving) and added it to the batter- it tends to make the flax-jacks thicker, and adds more texture.


Flax-Jacks

 Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 flax eggs (see below)
1/4- 1/3 cup water, almond milk, or coconut milk

{Flax eggs}
To make the equivalent of one egg, combine one tablespoon of flax meal with three tablespoons of hot water. Stir and set aside for ten minutes.

Instructions:

Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the flax eggs and stir until everything is thourgoughly mixed. Slowly add in the water, stirring at the same time, until the mixture turns to batter*

Pour batter into the skillet in tablespoonfuls over medium-high heat. Cook on the first side for about  five minutes, then flip and continue cooking until desired. 


* There is a fine balance between too watery and just right. For thicker pancakes, use less water. For thinner, use up to a 1/2 cup. I tend to use water, because my body cannot tolerate almonds at the moment. It may seem like you're putting in a lot of liquid, but coconut flour is very dry, so it requires lots of liquid to balance it out, much less make a batter-like substance. Don't worry- your first time may not be perfect, but they are SO worth it :) 








No comments:

Post a Comment