Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Sprouting Summer: Meal #3

I'm not ashamed to admit it. Yes, I do miss my pasta days. Yes, I do miss cheese on top of my pasta. But I do not miss throwing up. Or feeling like my guts are going to spill out- sorry for spoiling any appetite you might have had. Therefore, I have avoided pastas like the plague.

Until now. Enter my new favorite "pasta" dish, zucchini lasagne. Not only is it mouthwateringly tasty, but it is a healthy and super easy delight. 


I adapted this marvelous recipe from quite possibly the most wonderful Paleo cookbook ever,"Make it Paleo," by the Food Lovers. I added my own cooks touch to it, omitting the mushrooms, onions, and adding a few ingredients. Feel free to make your own rendition- it is perfectly capable to be played with and changed. 



I served this with a simple salad. Steamed broccoli, roasted vegetables, or cauliflower rice would also be a nice compliment.
 


 Zucchini Lasagne

Serves 4
Time: approximately 40 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound ground turkey
3 garlic cloves, pressed
6 ounces tomato paste
24 ounces tomato sauce (I used Sprouts Tomato Basil- its simple, delicious, and allergy-free!)
2 zucchini, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
pinch of salt
pepper to taste

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Heat a skillet at medium-high heat. Brown the ground turkey for approximately five minutes. Add in the garlic and saute until aroma arises. 

Stir in the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add in the parsely, basil, and spices and mix thoroughly. 

Bring the sauce to a light boil, then remove from heat. In a greased 9"x13" baking dish, arrange the first layer of sliced zucchini. Pour about a third of the sauce over the zucchini. Layer with ore zucchini and pour more sauce. Arrange the last layer of zucchini slices and finish off the last of the sauce.

Place the lasagne in the oven for fifteen minutes, covered with foil. After the fifteen minutes, heat the oven to 350 F, and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove and let cool for five minutes, then serve and enjoy.








No comments:

Post a Comment