Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Sprouting Summer: Meal #1

With school over and the weather warming, SUMMER IS OFFICIALLY HERE!!! But summer is not all rest and relaxation, for I have many things to accomplish!  One of my goals this summer is to cook at least once a week for my family. As the only Paleo eater in a family of four, I find myself often cooking  for myself, but by the third day of leftovers, my creation gets old. Now that I can cook for the family, I'll be able to create and experiment more, at their expense Thus, I'm calling this period of intensive cooking  "A Sprouting Summer," as I learn and create yummy summer meals. I'm excited to try new varieties of food and create new ideas. 

My first attempt at a yummy summer meal for the family was a complete success! It hit the spot!Creamy, flavorful, and healthy, this chicken salad was the perfect kickoff to my summer meal. This is so easy to make, and so worth the little time that it takes! My dad, who I consider the ultimate food taste-tester, couldn't get enough of the salad!

I served this delicious dish with watermelon, but I'd also suggest a side potato salad or fruit salad, yet it's satisfying enough by itself! This is also the perfect dish to bring to a summer party or picnic. 





Chicken Salad with Avocado-Herb Dressing

Makes approximately 4 servings

Ingredients:

Salad- 
4 oz of chicken breast, baked and shredded
1 up broccoli/carrot slaw( I get mine from Trader Joe's)
1 head of red leaf lettuce, chopped and washed

Dressing-  
1/2 ripe avocado
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup parsley
1/3 cup fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions:

1. Bake chicken 450 for 40 minutes.

2. While the chicken is baking, combine dressing ingredients in food processor and pulse together. If the dressing is too thick (consistency like guacamole), add more oil, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  

3. Chop and wash lettuce. Set aside in serving dish

4. Once chicken is finished, take it out of the oven and shred it. 

5. Toss the shredded chicken with avocado dressing. 

6. Serve, or store in an airtight container for later

 
The chicken-avocado mix













The Chicken Salad with Watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment